As it is National Stress Awareness Month, we wanted to focus on the importance of taking care of yourself and of spotting the signs of stress and how it can impact your life.
It is hard sometimes to work out what causes feelings of stress or how to deal with them. Managing external pressures and developing emotional resilience can all help to relieve feelings of stress or feeling overwhelmed.
The most common signs can be physical, emotional, and behavioural and there is a long list of symptoms including, Aches and Pains, chest pain or accelerated heart rate, Exhaustion or trouble sleeping, headaches, dizziness or shaking and stomach problems. All these symptoms and more can make an individual feel very unwell.
If you are feeling overwhelmed or stressed to the point where it is affecting your daily life, then speak to your GP or try some of our top tips to help with stress relief.
- Accept that you cannot control everything. Find ways to let go of worry about situations you cannot change
- Learn to say “no” to additional responsibilities when you are too busy or stressed
- Try relaxation activities, such as meditation, yoga, tai chi, breathing exercises and muscle relaxation. Programs are available online, in smartphone apps, and at many gyms and community centres
- Take good care of your body each day. Eating right, exercising, and getting enough sleep help your body handle stress much better
- Stay positive and make note of the good parts of your day or life